13 January 2012

dilemma

I think it can be agreed that the two greatest reasons for staying home sick from school when we were young were 1) The Price is Right and 2) Unsolved Mysteries. Am I wrong, fellow children of the 80's? Nothing better than some good ol' Bob Barker and flashing lights and fanatical game players and such an engaging, sing-songy voice to "Tell 'er what she's won!" since, at 10-years old, I was no good at actually pricing items. And I guess I was frankly more interested in drinking Squeeze-Its than I was in pricing them (bonus reason for being sick: Squeeze-Its).

So I guess what I'm saying is that Unsolved Mysteries was actually the best part of being home sick from school (aside from the Squeeze-Its-- they're really hard to find these days, have you noticed?). Don't you have good memories of snuggling into piles of blankets on the couch, the coffee table riddled with tissues and ginger ale and the barf bucket, peeking at the screen and trying to make it through theme music without changing the channel? Have a listen:



Ooooooh it gives me the creeps to hear it. The new version is not nearly as skin-crawly.

But may I pose a grown-up question to you?

If you are a Grown Up without a job or very many places to go and you pay your own bills so you can watch reruns of Unsolved Mysteries every afternoon if you want to (again, I can't emphasize how un-creepy the newer version of the theme song is)-- in other words, if you can treat every day like it's a sick day, well...

...what do you do then when you're actually sick?

Especially when the mysteries you watched fifteen years ago are still unsolved!!!

No comments: