18 January 2011

gloom-tastic

There's been a gloom cast over my life lately. I chalk it up to the melting dirty snow all over the place that makes everything distinctly moist. I've also felt very much like the Mysteriously Growing Woman since, though I've kept to the plan and started actively exercising about four times a week, I'm magically gaining weight, but we don't need to go into that. And of course those Waste of Makeup Days that we all have-- you know the kind-- that just seem to be all too abundant, probably because it's too cold in the morning to get up in time to get ready, which brings me back to the point about the melty gray snow.

We've recently managed to make some real Grown Up strides that I'm pretty sure is helping me reach my goal of increasing my awesomeness. First, we applied for our very first ever loan and drove off the lot with this:Look, there's me in the front seat texting about it! It's our very first Bell Family car-- a silver 2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring. PRETTY! We figure we aren't going to be buying a house anytime soon, but we do spend a lot of time on the road with no sign of not spending a lot of time on the road, so we might as well have a cozy house on wheels that's not an RV.

But the gloom! Such gloom. It's got me in a funk I can't seem to pull out of. Part of the problem may be the fact that in spite of our shiny new car that we like to drive in, with the good sound system and heater that actually works, we seem to always be STUCK in traffic. Traffic is my worst anxiety, other than phones ringing off the hook. There's been plenty of that lately too... Just thinking of traffic and phones ringing makes my heart start pounding.

I intend to launch Pribbles & Prabbles: The Store on Etsy in February, which means I need to get cranking on some yarn projects but can't find the motivation. I wonder if the gloom has a little something to do with the fact that we've launched into rehearsals for Act II of A Tale of Two Cities in which we spend a lot of time in riotous French mobs, screaming, "GUILTY! GUILTY! OFF WITH 'ER HEAD!" at each other and witnessing a lot of terrible deaths. In all honesty, it's going to be a powerful production that I'm very excited to be a part of. You can get tickets HERE (if you don't think it'll make you too gloomy).

There's an Urban Outfitters sale happening online which is sorely tempting but not possible four days after buying a car (because WE DID THAT!) and also that thing about Waste of Makeup for the Mysteriously Gaining Woman. I think I might go the opposite route and actually just throw out (donate) half my wardrobe just to get rid of it. Simplify. Take some weight off by concentrating less on materialistic things. This will also make our impending move a lot easier.

Counting down the days till we move is kind of gloomy too, because it means we have to pack and then unpack. A fresh start will be nice. And also Fresh Step for our CAT because TREVOR the CAT can come live with us in a month!!!

But in the meantime: gloom, and taking home discarded cardboard boxes from work instead of recycling them.

Any suggestions for a gloom-buster?

6 comments:

Jen said...

you need to write more. you are fantastic.

Erica said...

Chocolate cookies, hot chocolate and a Bollywood film. Repeat as necessary.

Hailey said...

Go to Hulu and watch Portlandia. And then go to PBS and watch Downton Abbey. Sorry, TV's all I got.

Angela said...

Sorry you're in a funk, friend. Might it help you to know that in spite of your gloom, you still somehow seem to brighten my day?

A Jew and an Ex-Mo Go To South America said...

I'm sure you've been told this before, but it is true: if you increase your exercise (and depending on what kind of exercise you're doing), you may be gaining muscle and losing body fat. That means the number on the scale may not move, or in fact move upwards. Pay more attention to measurements or body fat percentage if you have someone who can measure that for you.

Keep with it! If you feel like you're in a rut, try to find a way to do a new and different kind of exercise than you've done before, it'll help to keep you engaged and challenge your body in new and unexpected ways which = more fat loss.

Amy said...

A cure for the gloominess is to come play Just Dance with me. We will work up a sweat as we try to beat each others scores so we will be getting skinny TOGETHER! Then we could go to Wendy's and gain back all the calories by eating french fries dipped in a Frosty. What time do you get off work? Drive your house up to mine and we'll play.