12 July 2010

mental/emotional/social health update

I find The Hills appropriately insipid and mildly insulting to good, hard-working society.

I know, I know. This should be a no-brainer. But for a while, it was a brainer. It was a yes-brainer, if you will. It was a brainer because my brain and my nerves were fried from being In Charge, and so for the majority of summer camp, I sat on my couch every night, staring at some kind of television. But it got to a point where I couldn't cope with any kind of investment, see-- not even in a show I've watched 80,000 times and therefore no longer needs investing-- and my own life felt so overwhelming and my job felt so real and my social life felt so dramatique that I couldn't bring myself to invest in anything more brainer than The Hills.

So I Instant NetFlix'd The Hills. And watched it. Every episode of season 3, with one episode of Laguna Beach for nostalgia's sake. Who's nostalgia, I couldn't tell you. Not mine.

But anyway, on The Hills, everyone's lives seem overwhelming (but aren't) and their jobs are so real (but aren't) and society is so le drama! (but isn't), and I got into it. Life by the pool and working a fake job at a magazine so you have something to film for your real job is so hard, guys. But at least Lauren Conrad has all kinds of cool and inspiring nail polish colors (which is part of the insipidity, but important to some people [me]).

So last night Mr. Ames and I went to my folks' house to veg with the cable while they're back East, and there was a Hills marathon on, and I needed Ames to see what it was I had dedicated my evenings to-- and it was the worst. I mean, maybe it's just that season 6 apparently LC isn't on anymore and the show has chosen to follow her frenemy Kristin from the Laguna Beach years, but Audrina's eyes are more dead, Lo is more shallow, and Brody is more of a playa than ever. And Heidi/Spencer are THE GROSST.

Needless to say, Mr. Ames sat there staring for a moment, trying to comprehend how I prefer to read hard nonfiction books and enjoy calculating payroll and somehow managed to convince myself this was a worthy use of time.

I couldn't figure it out either.

But the good news is that I seem to be back, and I'm even back at work, and I'm back on the weight loss wagon, and I think I'm going to develop a relatively useful hobby like crocheting to keep me busy while Hub is rehearsing up at Sundance this summer (while I watch Dollhouse which is awesommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmme).

2 comments:

Kristin W said...

Oh I've totally been sucked in by the Hills...embarrassed to say that I stopped myself and held my ground until this season (which IS the worst of them all). Glad I'm not the only one gave in to the mindlessness. Back to my real job, real problems with money and weight...

Emily Maria said...

Ooh. I love The Hills. I have watched them all. Don't worry, I DVR The City too. The only things I watch on TV are the fluffy shows. Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Silent Library...I go for the GOLD!!