12 June 2007

Not a bad day

This morning was my annual appointment with Dr. Brady up in Salt Lake City to discuss my progress since this time last year when my life was in shambles and we had no idea what was wrong with me.

I am pleased to announce that my thyroid levels are almost normal to the point where he's cutting back my medicine. I may be so far as to be going in to a bit of a remission.

It's amazing to think about how different my life has become in 14 months. There is really no comparison. I am overwhelmed with gratitude-- for my parents and their unending care (even if they're a bit neurotic at times, at least it's relatively well-founded); for my doctors who I know beyond a doubt were inspired and have continued to be so throughout this whole process; and most especially for my Heavenly Father who has blessed me so far above any expectation I might have conceived for myself. It is only through His will and by His hands that I have come this far and continue to improve and grow daily. It humbles me to review exactly how much I've been given, but I continue to ask for more. I can't begin to count each blessing specifically.

I am so blessed.

I love my life, I love school and my degree, I love the opportunties I've had and the ones I haven't even received yet.

It's been a good day.

13 comments:

Eliza said...

Congrats on the good news! I felt like you yesterday (hence our fhe on being Thankful for what we have everyday, every little thing).

Thyroid stuff can be so not fun. I'm just thankful that it is a treatable thing. I hate watching my little Isaac get his blood drawn every 6 months. He is so good at taking his meds too...just puts it in and chews it up.

@emllewellyn said...

He's got thyroid problems? What kind, if I might ask? I'm a bit of an expert, not surprisingly... Poor little one! He and I can be friends and take our medicine and have our blood drawn like twinners.

Eliza said...

He has congenital hypothyroidism. Born with it and it will be with him forever. He's been on Synthroid since 9 days old. We don't know if he has a thyroid that doesn't work or if his didn't even develop at all. I guess it doesn't really matter since it is treated the same way.

@emllewellyn said...

Wow. It's impressive that he's already dealing with it like such a trooper! I've got Graves Disease-- the same one as Marty Feldman. They caught it before my eyeballs started going all buggy. It would have been cool, say, come Halloween time but I bet the novelty would have worn off pretty quickly... I had the option to just get the little sucker cut out, but the idea of taking a couple bitty pills every day (with the hope that maybe there's a cure for thyroid problems eventually!) was way more appealing...

Eliza said...

So yours is the opposite. I love me some Young Frankenstein! Gail Devers has graves. I think Barbara Bush has hyper. (or at least the eyes for it ;)

Isaac's Endo said that if we hadn't caught it so early he would have been a cretin and would have migrated towards the circus cause that is where he would have felt welcomed and comfortable. WHAT?!?! This is just what I wanted to hear having no prior background info on Cong. Hypo. Crazy man...he is so funny!

@emllewellyn said...

Um, not all doctors are supposed to be funny. I wouldn't have laughed. I would have REFUSED!

I'm lucky because by the time I was actually diagnosed, we knew everything there was to know about thyroids and various forms of thyroid disease (at least that's what it felt like). It's true, I'm in good company. Both Babs and George sr. have hypo, actually. I like them.

Eliza said...

Yeah...I didn't laugh I was all, "huh" and Curtis was all "whaa" and then I was all "pshhht". I must admit that after we got to know him I really love him AND his personality. He has HeMan hair and looks like Robin Williams. (just a visual for free)

Alli Easley said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you! You're reminding me of the plaque I have on the wall from the Prophet's book "Way To BE!"

BE:

Grateful, Smart, Involved, Clean, True, Positive, Humble, Still and Prayerful


Can I tell you...am I struggling right now with one of these, but isn't there always something we're struggling with? C'est la vie! Keep the faith darlin', you've got friends/family and we're praying for you!

Now give me some candy!

@emllewellyn said...

You guys make my heart warm. It's too bad we're not actually related. And that we've never actually met (besides the Pre-Mortal Life).

Eliza said...

Alli- is it Still? I told you to stop dancing so much. Who isn't always working on one of those!

Em - we ar sisters...IGOW! AND I did meet you after a World of Dance...after my mom and I came backstage. I'm sure all we said was Hi.

@emllewellyn said...

OH YEAH. Or was it Christmas Around the World? And I remember you at one of our SPAC showcases, too. But yeah, not much more than "Hi."

Sad.

Alli Easley said...

Yes, Liza, it's still! Darn these dancin' feets!

Oh and Em, when I was a little girl I'd tell my mom every day "so and so is a sister! In God's own way...". So you are a sister, okayeee??? Liza liked to tell strangers that she loved them, as well. So so cute!

Eliza said...

We shall call you Igow.