17 March 2010

food habit

You guys, I eat like crap.

Like, not just crap. I mean, I eat like craaaaaaaaaaaaap.

To my own credit, I do try to make an effort-- or at least I pretend to make an effort. Like, I'll get a delicious salad at school for lunch, which totally justifies the fact that I had almost a whole bag of Honey BBQ Flavor Twisted Fritos for breakfast and then allows me to follow up with Wendy's for dinner.

Interesting note: I could eat a homestyle chicken go-wrap from Wendy's for every meal of the day, every day of my life. This is no exaggeration. Literally.

I tried to trick myself into drinking water instead of Diet Coke by getting Crystal Light packets to dump into the pretty water bottle I got, and that works sometimes. Like, "a few times a week" sometimes.

I just like to eat, okay? It's super satisfying to crunch crunch crunch something with a million different flavors, okay? Food is just interesting to me and I like it. I'm a social eater for sure. No matter how stuffed I am, tempt me with a delicious cheese and crackers platter or some spinach and artichoke dip, and a table full of hilarious and fascinating company, and I'll just pack it in.

Interesting note: I could pretty easily give up sugar if I needed to. I like a few bites of dessert every now and then, but I'll pick a salt lick over an ice cream sundae any day (except if you offer me boring vanilla soft serve with rainbow sprinkles in a waffle cone-- this is a different story altogether).

If I'm not allowed to have the go-wrap for three meals a day, every day, then I could eat some variation of Asian food for all those meals a day. Favorites include: Thai massaman curry, Thai yellow curry, Thai tom ka soup, sushi, beef and broccoli, chow mein, beef donburi, eggroll-- and so on. It's good that I like weird food because I married Mr. Ames who lived in Japan for a while, and it'll come in handy to have courage when we go to Japan in a few years.

Interesting note: sometimes I think about what I'll eat later in the day, minutes after I've just finished a meal. I know I'm not alone on this, but it's still a sad, sorry truth.

I'm lucky my body metabolizes pretty quickly, all things considered. I know I'm never going to be a skinny-pants like Mr. Ames because that's not how we're built in my family. It's okay by me to be pretty average-sized and within a few pounds of myself. THAT SAID-- I've been suuuuuuuper lazy lately and my wardrobe is starting to feel a little tight here and there. I know it's entirely to do with the fact that I break into a box of chocolate Teddy Grahams and suddenly it's all gone.

Okay that is an exaggeration, but not as exaggerated as I'd like. Is that too much of a confession for a public forum? That I'm super gross about stuffing my face and I don't have any kind of exercise regimen to compensate???

I need to quit this food thing, for rill. Yikes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Advice from a friend with the EXACT same problem:

Dear Emily,
I eat crap too! Actually its bad. Also, I can't start a bag of something and not finish it. I'm known to have finished off an entire large bag of potato chips complete with a tub of ranch dip in one day.

What I try and do is make my eating time a reward. Like, "Oh hey! I worked hard for the last 2 hours! Where is that bag of cadbury eggs??"

It seems to work a little better than the whole "I'll workout later, promise" idea.

Also, I'm a diet coke gal, too. But since I've recently decided to run like a mad woman as much as I possibly can, I've decided to give up soda. Its made a huge difference in how I feel.

Love,
Rebecca

Sorry for the SUPER long comment. LOVE YA!

peggy sherratt said...

I feel your pain...but, is it actually pain?? ha! Again...this is proof positive that Ames married the right girl! He is THE biggest junk food junkie I have ever known!! Love you both!!

Robbie said...

Here's the thing . . . it's important to be healthy, but it's also important to have fun and eat delicious, "interesting" as you said, food. I have the same problem, and when it comes down to it, I'd rather be "normal" (not fat, mind you) then deprive myself of all the yummy cuisine out there. And that's that.