07 August 2009

i like names

So now that it's 12:03AM, I can officially say I'm getting married in two weeks-- two weeks from this very day. I did that girl thing yesterday where I practiced signing "Emily Bell," only this time, it's completely legit because it's almost my name. I bet you're all wondering what I'm going to do about my name, aren't you? Like, sometimes girls keep their middle name and just change their last name. Or like my mom, their maiden name becomes their middle name and they kind of just forget their middle name all together? Well here's the answer to the question: Emily Llewellyn Dabczynski Bell. Kind of a mouthful, lots of Ls, but I'd be heartbroken to give up my crazy middle and maiden name, so there you have it.

Note: in two weeks, I will have a maiden name.

It's kind of a bit of an identity crisis for me, I'm not even going to lie to you. Believe me, it's a crisis I'm more than happy to have, and in general, it's a pretty gleeful crisis. I've kind of been eased into the Emily Bell thing since I've had various combinations of names on all of my various email and software accounts at work. Really it's just made it more appealing. EmilyBellEmilyBellEmilyBell. Say it a few times, just for kicks, everybody.

But really-- what am I going to do when people don't make faces or question my name anymore? I went to the mall tonight for a few items. The only clerk who didn't comment or ask about Dabczynski was the girl at Bath & Body Works because I paid with cash (something tells me she wouldn't have asked anyway-- too many letters would probably confuse her to think about it for very long). The one clerk was Bulgarian and pronounced it no problem. Bethany at Argento was practically my BFF by the time I left-- she knew all about the wedding and plans and loved my engagement ring and she was wearing a really super cute top-- and was so delighted by my last name that she repeated it five or six times right in a row. Dabczynski Dabczynski Dabczynski Dabczynski Dabczynski. Dabczynski.

Note: it's really difficult to type Dabczynski very quickly and accurately. My fingers don't move real well over all those funny letters in a row. Try it. You know, for kicks. Dabczynski.

Did you know that I spelled Dabczynski incorrectly on my high school senior portfolio, and I didn't even notice for almost two years? It's true. On the spine of the binder, I made an insert that said my full name and it ended up saying Emily Llewellyn Dabczynksi. It's not even a big deal. Luckily, I feel like Blel will be an easy mistake to catch.

So okay, I'm just going to have four names on my social security card and probably my driver's license, but I'll only sign Emily Bell because that's easiest. But here's the most important question of all:

How do I update facebook?

If I just change it to Emily Bell, then half of my friends list who doesn't know me any better than I know them will forget who I am, and I run the risk of losing friends. Clearly, this is something I do not want. I mean, CLEARLY. But Emily Dabczynski Bell makes a change almost redundant because people chatting with me can't even see all of Dabczynski, muchless Dabczynski Bell in full. Decisions!

I sure like that Ames Bell the very most of all in the whole world. I'm glad he's going to share his last name with me. I think that is very nice of him.

1 comment:

ashleigh said...

Lucky for you I'm pretty sure that you can do a whole maiden name thing on facebook. My sisters did anyway. I'm not sure how it works so don't ask me about it.

I love you so much and am so happy for you! I said Emily Bell outloud like you said and it WAS fun! I didn't try typing your last name, because lets face it, that would have been a disaster! Forreal.

I'm missing you and all of our fun times together, especially our secret texts. Don't forget about me when your looking for someone to play the best friend to your leading lady. It'd be the best!