31 July 2008

I'm not there yet.

I spent my day climbing and descending steps today. I mean, literally I climbed/descended more than 1000 steps today. 39 Steps nothing! We live on the top floor of Manson Place so between class, rehearsal on Chris's exclusive semi-private patio, the Tube, a backstage tour of the Royal National Theater, checking my laundry a few times, and a tour all the way to the top of St. Paul's Cathedral, I think my quads would be happy never to climb any steps ever again.

In all reality, though, climbing all those steps was cool. I can't say this sign wasn't a bit unnerving:
But obviously we got down alive. Anyway, I was really proud of Annie, Jaclyn, Anna and I for making it all the way up without resting intentionally, fainting, or throwing up, and I was really glad we got awkward/cool pictures like this (awkward because they're awkward, cool only because we're on the top of St. Paul's Cathedral): Today I'm grateful for elevators/lifts.

So then we saw a play tonight called ...Some Trace of Her that basically blew my mind. It was a really crazy multi-media experience that is really, really difficult to explain-- basically the actors performed the play, based on The Idiot, on the stage, but it was filmed and projected onto a screen above the stage. It was very artsy in black and white with really detailed lighting and even more detailed effects. Basically it they filmed a movie with changing camera angles and close-ups and everything, in 2 hours. Seriously difficult to explain. Needless to say it was just about the most live theater experience I've witnessed. Very pretentious and post-modern.

Which is why I'm not surprised some of our group hated it. Most everyone appreciated it at least, but I kind of feel like I was the only one who really loved it. I mean, it's fine. I'm secure enough in my opinions that I'm okay loving it by myself.

Part of the reason I loved it, admittedly, was due to a beautiful performance by Ben Whishaw. Having seen a few of his movies (namely, Perfume and I'm Not There), I'm not surprised he was involved in a project like this. Perhaps part of the reason I liked this play was because I recognized someone in it? I can't say I'm a true "fan" of his-- not like, OMG BEN WHISHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, you know?-- but I think it made it easier to invest in the production.

Because I was invested in the production, it made me want to be a part of the production. So I guess a part of me wants to be a Performance Art actor. Who knew? My parents will be thrilled. And at least my quads are in really good shape to be able to handle it.

4 comments:

Madison said...

OMG BEN WHISHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Jeremy said...

The thought of liking a show more because you recognize the actor is silly, Emily.

PS- When Ashley and I get married, do you think she should drop the Brown, keep it, or hyphenate?

Laurel and David Lowe said...

...So maybe I blog stalk you. So what? What are you gonna do about it, huh? Whatever.

A Few Tacos Shy... said...

So now that I have found you I will lurk on your blog regularly! :-)

-Alta