02 April 2008

End of an era

When I was growing up, I didn't like dark-colored sodas. It's not like I'm a carbonation racist, I just didn't like the taste of anything other than Sprite, 7Up, Squirt, and Orange Soda.

Oh, Orange Soda my friend. There came a time when that's all I'm pretty sure that's all I drank. At all. Orange Soda, and milk. Not at the same time-- obviously... I really felt like Kel on the highly memorable Nickelodeon show Kenan and Kel. "Who loves Orange Soda? Emily loves Orange Soda? Is it true? I do, I do, I do, I do-ooh." I've been tempted to buy this shirt:



The problem is, evidently Orange Soda and I don't get alone so well anymore. I went to the vending machine this morning for a little pick-me-up, and finding the Diet Coke SOLD OUT, I got an Orange Fanta. I promise I didn't sing the Fanta song ("Wanta Fanta! Fanta!") or dance, but I was pretty excited to revisit my childhood, as I'm so apt to do now and again. It's too bad that after drinking that whole darned bottle, I feel TOTES sick to my stomach. I know because it's my stomach.

And come to think of it, I've felt pretty sick after drinking Orange Soda for a while now.

It's probably the sugar. My body is so used to the aspartame that's actively pickling my insides, anything with real sugar (to say nothing of the lack of caffeine) is apparently too, well, sugary. How's that for profound?

So that's that. I don't think I'll ever voluntarily drink another Orange Soda ever again. It's a sad day, though I'm sure my stomach is happy. Somewhere I think I can hear Taps playing, gently.

6 comments:

Ashley O said...

omg! I use to be the same way! I was all over the Happy Meal from McDonalds with Orange Soda and a filet o' fish. What 5 year old eats a filet o' fish kids meal? Hmmmmm ME!

Wanta Fanta? Doncha wanta! Someone once told me that I looked like/could be a Fanta girl. I believe it was Nate Hansen. The end.

Yay for dark soda.

Joel said...

I have a feeling it is because it was "Fanta" brand Orange soda...

Heather Davis said...

how come ALL THAT is not on anymore? That was the best show. Can you still at least drink Fresca?? That would be hard for me to live without!

Ranteumptom said...

Although I always advocate the great drink of Diet Dr. Pepper, in this case I'd prescribe you Fresca. All the citrus, none of the sugar or caffeine.

Ashley O said...

I LOVE FRESCA!!! And Black Cherry Fresca.

Alli Easley said...

Um, I eat Filet O'Fish meals. But I hate hate HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE orange soda.

over.