18 October 2007

Naming

Okay. So we're going to start our fiction unit in Creative Writing soon. Inevitably, we will have to create and name fictional characters. The nice thing about that process is that you can give your characters names that fit their personalities and traits, etc. The bad thing about the process is that I'm very creative or decisive about naming characters.

Maybe that's why I don't write fiction often.

Anyway, since these characters are my fictional children of sorts, I pose the question: how did you go about naming your non-fictional children? Is there a theme? Why one name over another? I've always been curious why a family of 10 all have names beginning with A or something. So yes-- what's the reasoning?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wince T. Cackle
Chaffinches I. Bolder
Mudslinger H. Cruets
Glockenspiel B. Evil
Obtaining C. Lagoons
Greening F. Peruvians
Ellipse B. Queers
Serening S. Domiciled
Liberality T. Arrant
Viewers P. Seaweed
Duchess D. Spikes
Afforested B. Brim
Dissuades M. Flatter
Squadron C. Remembrance
Hydraulicking A. Sleazes
Buyers C. Birettas
Bighearted M. Bystander
Sabbath D. Wholly
Ragamuffins K. Draftmanship
Knitwear U. Groundhog
Cytology R. Argentinian
Portsmouth M. Dangle
Palliated O. Livestock
Pelee M. Typesets
Creaking I. Sowers
Goldsmiths J. Centrist
Withstanding H. Unstructured
Saskatoon R. Ferreted
Immortalize R. Hypermarket
Reminisces I. Molars
Deandre I. Renderings
Mendoza G. Quite
Punch F. Palmist
Observation J. Wildest
Unsightliness T. Infield
Filching S. Deduction
Porsche C. Bungled
Undiminished U. Juanita

Ashley O said...

what in the kell!?

Eliza said...

I like to go with Soap Opera sounding names for my fictional children.

Alli Easley said...

All of my imaginary boyfriends have semi-gay sounding names like Leslie and Blair incase you wondered.

@emllewellyn said...

I was totally wondering. Thanks for clarifying.

Also, thanks for the list of names. It's so extensive! Don't worry-- you can be sure I use at least one of them in a future piece.