16 June 2007

Three weeks and it couldn't be worse

We've got two weeks and six days until we open Kiss Me, Kate. We've had some really solid rehearsals in the last few days, and I'm feeling confident about myself and most of the cast. Unfortunately, so many people have been going out of town that I don't know if we're going to have a truly full cast until our second full-show run-through next Saturday.

That's. Terrifying. To say the least.

But it's okay. Those who have it down have it down really tightly, so as long as those vacationers know how hard they've got to work (and then actually follow through...) I think we'll do quite well.

My biggest struggle has been teaching myself to get out of my First Soprano classical voice (that actually comes in handy toward the end of Act I-- listen for it!) and start sounding like a sassy, blues-y black woman so I look a little something like this:

When I actually get onstage I've got parts of the look down. Hair: check. Bright red lips: check. Vintage dress: LOVE IT. It's a blessing you cant hear her wailing so you've got nothing to compare me to...:)

8 comments:

topher clark said...

Guess who has a blog???? I had no idea. Well, great to find you.

So you know, I have NO DOUBT that you will wail. I know I bug you about it, but I have every faith that you will bust it when the time comes. And you will look great in those red lips, or whatever.

Out of the hat, it's that BIG FIRST NIGHT ("Heal us, Hattie!")

@emllewellyn said...

Who knew, right? How in the H did you find me? Jeremy? That little snitch.

You don't bug me about it any more than you should-- don't worry about it. I can take it!! I'm harder on myself than anything. Or anyone.

Whatevuh. Life is good. At least I've been going to rehearsals, right? HA.

Alli Easley said...

I WANT TO COME SEE! Plus, I love that whole time period...the lipstick, the dress, the music. I still wear red lipstick even though frosty pink is so hot right now. Oh way-oh, I ain't worried bouts no fashion trenz. By the way, there's a "beauty parlor" here in my town called COLOR TRENZ. siiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

@emllewellyn said...

Um so pack up your cute family, treck out to Utah sometime during July, go play on the Terroride during the day and then see Kiss Me, Kate at night! I vote "yes."

Pretty much anything spelled with a "z" when it should be an "s" makes me dry heave. MaYbE tHiS kInD oF wRiTiNg DoEs ToO.

Only foolin', Eliza. Kind of.

Alli Easley said...

I second that vote, Emily.

Oh and aBoUt ThE lIzA tHiNg, I wish the tErRoRiDe had letters like that.

Ms. Julie said...

If you're worried about your wail (which you shouldn't be, but I know how insecure actors can be), I have a proposition: I'd trade a coaching session or two for four tix to the show (for me and my girls). What say you? Think those directors of yours would be willing to make a trade on your behalf?

Anonymous said...

You are sounding awesome I don't know what you're worried about but your work is showing. Jer even hollered for you last night! So so so excited for this show!

@emllewellyn said...

Busy Bee, your compliment is much appreciated. Pretend like it's written on a little card and I'm tucking it against my heart.