31 October 2009

thoughts on having blonde hair

So I've decided I should never be a blonde.

I mean, I've got no problem dying my hair. At the moment it's a faded sort of burgundy that needs to be unfaded, in fact, so I guess it's lucky that I'm all intent on dying it all pretty and artificially burgundy again. With highlights.

At the moment, in the spirit of Halloween, I'm wearing a little blonde bobbed wig as I sit in the Box Office of Hale Center Theater Orem, dressed as a 1920's stenog. How thoroughly modern of me. I've got a cute little blue dress with cute little red heels and cute seamed stockings and a cute red hat, and this hair which is, on anyone else, a cute little blonde wig, but I look at myself and hear all kinds of sirens blaring, BAD IDEA! BAD IDEA!

Once upon a time, I wore a blonde wig all summer and was more or less convincing:
Clearly I'm thrilled about it, yeah? Actually, to be true, that wig was pretty good, and I was only partly self-conscious about my brown hair poking out around my ears. The ringlets were another story:
Note the suspicion in my eye. I felt like a Marie Osmond doll, where they all kind of look like her. You know what I mean? But for real, Marie Osmond dolls that look like Amy fully exist. Behold, little Adora My Dolly:It's freakin' Marie Osmond (or me, since we have matching enormous brown eyes and naturally dark hair aren't I cool I'm like a celebrity hair toss imaginary cigarette tap) as Amy March.

But okay, okay, duh-- that was a stylized thing, and in truth, ringlets only look good on tiny children and Wendy Darling. They look especially CA-RAH-ZEE on Irish dancers, particularly small ones, am I right?:
But the point is that I had to be blonde in that play. I couldn't not be blonde, regardless with how comfortable I was. I think the thing that bothered-- and is currently bothering-- me most is how dark my eyebrows look(ed) against the hair. And I am sooooooooo not confident enough to pull a Scarlett Johansson:
She's not my favorite to start, and call me crazy, but I just feel like this is a BAD IDEA! BAD IDEA! in spite of her pretty eye makeup and perfect teeth.

I bet if I had pretty eye makeup (and perhaps perfect teeth) at the moment, I'd feel less awkward about my light hair and dark eyebrows at the moment. Unfortunately, the wig was a last-minute decisions, and I didn't even put on any extra makeup for this costume except a swipe of red lipstick. So yeah, I'm pretty awesome-- mascara from yesterday, no fixes to the complexion, and red kiss-proof lipstick to go with light blonde hair. BAD IDEA!

I've done those virtual make-over things where you upload a picture of yourself and then the website puts outdated/ugly hairstyles on your crappy, pixelated head, and I've tried various colors. Turns out purple is a pretty good look for my coloring.

Why didn't I even grab a purple wig from the wig shop this morning, instead of a blonde one?

No comments: