10 May 2008

Twilight

Do you know what really bugs me? The Twilight series. While I'm mildly intrigued by the story itself (though let's be honest, it's really a teenaged bastardization of Anne Rice. I don't care who you are, Edward Cullen = Louis de Pointe du Lac), Meyers' writing style oozes obnoxious sentiment and stinks badly of the BYU English department. I find Bella so cloying it makes me physically itchy. I don't need to hear about the excruciating minutiae in heating up a can of tomato sauce. And okay, I get it! Edward is the most perfectly beautiful creature on earth! Noted, alright? Let's move on before we drive that point any deeper into the ground.

That said, I've read all three books. I'll probably read more.

Also, I'm a BYU English student.

I've been involved in a few arguments over Twilight, and lately I've found myself coming to the series' defense, much as I loathe it (I'm not kidding, I'm really feeling squirmy inside just thinking about sitting down for another afternoon to crack open another one of those books). I mean, they're pretty harmless, aside from Bella's carnal, premarital desires. They take classic horror movie monsters--vampires and warewolves, man!-- and make them sexy. I'd rather die than actually compare Edward to Teddy Laurence or Gilbert Blythe, but I guess it's not bad that there's a new good-looking hero in town (I can hardly call him a literary hero, however, as I don't think all books can be considered literature). And I can only imagine how the ecomony of Forks, WA has skyrocketed.

More than anything, I guess I'm just happy that people--not just preteens--are so excited about reading books. I include Harry Potter in this mix (and admit to enjoying most of the HP series). How rad is it that the world practically shuts down on the days these books are released?? Sure, ideally the world would be involved in a discussion about more literary books, and sure, it would would be great if the level of writing was more intellectual and/or refined. But you know, at least people are reading something. I don't think that's so bad.

But curse that movie trailer for being quite so... interesting.

15 comments:

Kirsten Krason said...

It seem you have a love/hate relationship with the series. I think it is one of those things you just have to...let go and enjoy. I gotta say it's better than anything I've ever written and it has done pretty well with the public. I'll see the movie with you.

Marissa Waddell said...

i'm trying really really hard to never read those books, and i hope my curiosity doesn't win out. as you said, there is so much actual literature to be had.

Heidi said...

I haven't seen the trailer, but I suspect they were written with a film version very firmly in mind. Kind of like some of the HP books. More power to her, and I'll probably read the others because the story DOES intrigue me, but you just can't compare Rowling or Meyers to, say, Dickens or Tolkien or Lewis. Or even Diana Wynne Jones. The end.

Jen said...

Further proof that you and I are destined to be awesome friends for life.

Especially since I will never forget your talking about the can of spaghetti sauce before we had read the book.

Ashley O said...

I could say so much right now. But I'll start with this. I have to say that I chose not to pick up this series for a loooong time but I ended up reading them one night back in November as I was hiding in Lehi from S_____. I like them just because it keeps me away from the TV even though I still like to get in my weekly Ghost Hunters and VH1 re-runs/marathons. If it wasn't for books then there would be butt imprint in my couch.

I mean I could be reading scriptures and all but what's wrong with reading the books of today? Not much. I'm not going to lie but Meyer's reading IS easy. Yes, New Moon was slow but it was easy and who here LOOOOVES the 2nd book/movie of any series? Back to the Future II: ICKY!!! Temple of Doom: meh. Empire Strikes Back: double meh. The Two Towers: too much war. This fact is expected, well, at least for me.

Here me out on this. I think it is sad how people my age ask my mom how old C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien are these days. Really?! REALLY??!!! They think these two intellectual writers are in college. What is the education coming to these days? Seriously. I'm not that much of a reader but I knew that. No wonder LDS people don't read the scriptures as much. The language is too much to handle. Perhaps people don't pick up amazing classics and other recent literary books because they are too hard for them to read. I know MANY ppl that don't like to read because books are getting too boring and take too much thinking. How sad!

My point is 1) I think women live their lives through Bella's "carnal, premarital desires" and also through the myriad of mushy stuff... Chello! Why else do people watch shows such as Gossip Girl or One Tree Hill. The drama. I must confess that I have wasted time on these shows just to make my own drama seem not as bad. 2) The books are eaaaaasy reads.

Reading this just made me realize why I am afraid to go out and be a teacher/choreographer. I'm afraid mothers, artistic directors, friends, dancers, etc are going to criticize my choreography because it doesn't meet up to the other choreography out there. wow talk about word vomit. I love you.

Ashley O said...

p.s. my last comment was not directed to you. I'm just tired and I have a toothache. Of course one of the side effects happens to be word vomit. :)

I do agree with her writing being not all that great but, meh, it keeps me off my ars. (I guess I could have just said that much. hahaha buuuut I didn't. oops.)

@emllewellyn said...

No, I completely understand, Ash. And while we'd love Lewis to get the respect he deserves, you're absolutely right-- Twilight is easy, but at least it's reading.

I still hate it.

But it's still reading.

Hopefully it inspires people to read other books then too... That's all.

Eliza said...

I like Jacob

AND opinions

AND words NOT vomit

the end

Casey T. said...

Forever and Amen

Ashley O said...

agreed.

Heather Davis said...

THANK You. I cannot stand Twilight, i only read half of it before putting it down for good. WHAT IS THE OBSESSION?? i am so happy another female has similar feelings.

Robbie said...

The first half of the first book is pretty hard to get through- all the hysterical middle school drama- but then I found them pretty enjoyable- I mean, I wanted to know what "happens"

And about the reading fever that sweeping is nation (i think that's a song, or should be)- I happen to be apart of it. I got into Harry Potter when I was a freshman in college, and before that I was never a reader- like cliff notes all the way in high school. But then I realized that reading is fun and amazing- and now I have grown up. I read classics, fantasy, nonfiction, liberal coffee shop stuff, social commentary lit, lots of stuff . . . so go figure.

But I laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of Twlight quite a few times while I was reading it. I totally got some crazy nerd chills . . .

Allison Easley said...

Do I really need to tell you how I feel? Guess.

Robbie said...

P.S. Why am I not under "blogtastic" ?????!!

deep breath . . . just wondering . . .

topher clark said...

I agree, but have you tried giving "Eventide Masquerade" a shot? It's much better written (IMHO)