05 October 2007

Things I Recommend

It's October 2007 and I'm long overdue for a self-indulgent list of things I love and therefore recommend to other people. Take it or leave it.

1.) Pushing Daisies
My new favorite show, recommended to me by my good friend Jeremy. Sure, it only premiered the other night so I've only seen one episode, but it's delightful. It's kind of Tim Burton-y, kind of Series of Unfortunate Events. Definitely an unusual premise--a guy has the ability to bring back to life dead people with the touch of a finger to find out who killed them and then collect reward money. Also, it has Kristin Chenoweth. On ABC, Wednesdays 7pm (MST)


2.) My Little Pony Fruit Snacks
Delicious, sugary goodness without much nutritional value to speak of. Frankly they don't taste any better or worse than any other kind of waxy fruit snack, but these ones are shaped like My Little Ponies. Hellooooo supremacy. Also they're various shades of pink, purple, and bright green. Nah, there's nothing artificial about these babies!


3.) Maybelline Full 'N Soft mascara
Listen up, girls. Don't want to pay full price for Clinique mascara (which is the greatest mascara ever made, except that it's only worth it when you can manage to get a mini-tube in a sample pack because it's so needlessly expensive)? This is the ticket. Droopy, undefined, short-looking lashes? A few swipes with this stuff and POOF! Your eyes are transformed in but a moment! Seriously. Best stuff ever. Other than Clinique.



4.) Will & Grace on DVD
I. Love. This show. I mean, I've loved it for a while, let's be honest. But having it on DVD is a beautiful thing. Will & Grace whenever you're in need of Jack and Karen because duh, they're the greatest part of the show. I have a girl-crush on Megan Mullally. I wish I could be her. Anyway, it's the kind of show where you can watch just one episode if that's all you have time for because there isn't really a solid storyline from episode to episode. Also, there are so many random celebrity guest stars its inSANE. Examples: Cher, Madonna, Alec Baldwin, and J-Lo.


5.) Maybelline Pure Stay Foundation Powder
It may sound like I'm peddling Maybelline. I am. This stuff is seriously the greatest ever. It doesn't matter how crappy my skin looks, this stuff never fails to cover unseemly blemishes with utmost satisfaction. I usually like to use it after a little bit of liquid foundation, and it stays nice for hours. It's also extremely effective stage makeup because it covers so well and sets your make up, but it matches your skin so it's not ugly and orange. Seriously beautiful, you guys.


6.) Hilary Duff's perfume, With Love
It's my favorite since Britney Spears' Curious. Okay, so I have a thing for celebrity perfumes. Sue me. Well since I have a hard time spending money on a product that will contribute to a crazy woman's child support, I've found this an equally delightful oder. It's soooooo pretty, and relatively inexpensive. And much as I personally don't care for Hil's singing voice, I've got to respect the girl for how hard she works. This girl cares about her career, man. Sure, I'll buy your silly perfume which you had nothing to do with except funding the bill and taking a few wiffs of a few options before picking one. And it comes in a pretty bottle. You can't beat that.


7.) Across the Universe deluxe 2-disk soundtrack
Seriously. Spend the extra $2 and get the 31-track version of this album. It includes every song sung in the movie, including the credits. It's a beautiful film, and the arrangements of such classic songs is truly a tribute to The Beatles. I think Paul and John are/would be very pleased with the final result. Plus, Jim Sturgess and Joe Anderson have dishy voices. Bono also stars as The Walrus. I always knew Bono was The Walrus.



8.) The Devil in the White City
I can't remember if I gushed about this book when I was reading it this summer, so I'll gush now. I kind of missed the memo when this book came out, but I was rereading parts of it recently. This is one kick-ah non-fiction. It proves that non-fiction does not have to be some dry, boring book that your grandpa reads-- it's a truly gripping, page-turning murder mystery about the Chicago World's Fair. This is a seriously interesting read. Did you know the Ferris Wheel was invented specifically for this World's Fair? Also, shredded wheat was introduced there. AND there's a connection to Titanic. If that's not incentive, I don't know what is.

9.) Mary Jane Crocs
I've been a big fan of Crocs for about 3.5 years now. My sister and I joke that we were the ones who brought the fad to Utah because everyone thought they were so WEIRD when we brought them home from Maine that summer. Admittedly, who knew foamy, plastic shoes would be so popular in the end? Personally, I don't mind the clogs. I don't think they that ugly. BUT. Now they make them in a Mary Jane style. They're seriously adorable, with all the comforts of the original. You can get them in colors, though not so outragous. Personally, I recommend black, chocolate, and raspberry colored ones.


10.) Sweeney Todd
I know at least a few of my readers are already pumped for this movie. It's one of my favorite musicals (is that weird??) to begin with, but pair Sondheim with Elfman, Burton, Depp and Rickman, and you've got a cult classic in the making. I'm a little worried it's aesthetic value might be taken for granted by all the Depp teenyboppers out there. What's funny is I anticipate most of them will go into the movie with no idea what it's about and be sorely surprised. ANYWAY, I feel especially obligated to present you with the latest news-- the first movie trailer. Enjoy. I surely, surely did.

8 comments:

Alli Easley said...

First of all:

1.) Pushing Daisies. Oh yes, how how how we LOVE love LOVE Bryan Fuller. We fell in love with him when he made Wonderfalls (oh my, I have the entire series on DVD, you must borrow it) and also our MOST favorite, and one we also own every episode of...Dead Like Me. If you haven't yet heard of/seen either of those two, I will send the discs up with Ashley, and you will bow and call me "master" after you watch. If you've seen them already...high five!

2.) Oh yes, most delicious. We frequently purchase these because they're pastel colors and I am fascinated by that. Also, they double as a quick fruity squishy treat when I'm craving Starburst, but my teeth can't handle Starburst's hard nature, so MLP fruit snacks it is!

3.) I'll have to try that, I'm open. I'm all about mascara.

4.) I have issues with Will & Grace because my ex, well...he liked it. Actually, he loved that show and when I hear an episode, I hear his dreadful piercing womanly laugh and it gives me the puke shivs...blah! Sorry.

5.) I do love this powder I will admit. I also love Clinique Superpowder Double Face Makeup in Matte Honey. So...

6.) I'm so picky about perfume, but I'll have to give it a try! I've been addicted to Lucky You for women for the last 3 or 4 years, but I've been known to wear men's cologne most of the time.

7.) I downloaded it last week! OH MY FABULOUS! I agree with you here!

8.) I'll check it out, er...not "check" it out like at the library, rather I'll look at it and possibly purchase it at B&N!

9.) First, I love Mary Janes, I do. I would wear them to bed if my husband would let me, and I've been known to caress and kiss and cuddle my Mary Janes on occasion...but I refuse to wear the Crocs. They make me feel dirty! I still love you though.

10.) I may kiss you for showing me the trailer. I certainly, certainly may...

Heidi said...

Never fear, Emdab Dot Blogspot Dot Com, because Sweeney is in my top 5. I think it's number two or three, but only because Children of Eden will probably always be number one. Every time I see the trailer I get giddy. GIDDY. I would camp in line for tickets...if there would be a line around here...which there probably won't...

@emllewellyn said...

Alli-- I haven't watched the entire series of Wonderfalls or Dead Like Me, but enough to know that I need more. If you're willing to send them up to Ashleh, great! Otherwise I'm sure I can rent them or something. Or chances are they're online somewhere illegally. ALSO, another perfume I recommend is Curve Soul. Curve is kinda...eh, I'm over it, you know? But SOUL smells a teeny bit like Clinique Happy, and since you and I seem to be allllll about Clinique...

Fran-tastic-- No, there won't be a line anywhere, I bet. Except New York and San Fran. But Jer-Bear and I tenitively made plans to go see it December 26 since it comes out Christmas Day. That's how we celebrated Boxing Day 2005, with a trip to see The Producers. So yeah, come along with us please!

Eliza said...

1. I LOVED the preview of the show but my kids were crazah so I couldn't watch and NO I DON'T HAVE TIVO SO DON'T YELL AT ME!!!!!!!!

2. Bright green = granny smith apples, purple = PURE off the vine grapes and Pink = grapefruit with some added splenda so YES it is good for you. (but I really wish I could find fruit jets again)

3. I love new mascara...thanks!

4. You forgot Kevin Bacon and Rudy Galindo.

5. I need to find new covering makeup cause Sheer cover at the BBandB is always MEDIUM and I am pale-face.

6. I'll go snell it. I bought the celine one a while ago and it ain't too shabby. Smells like Amarige.

7. Haven't listened yet...

8. okay, my next book

9. I own MJ in 3 different kinds and one different color...black. One for my Halloween costumes (Wednesday) One for low days and one for high days (as in the heel).
oh wait I also have a red... me love.

10. I hope it isn't rated badly ...I so hate when they make me have to be good and wait for TV. *grits teeth*

Eliza said...

oh and about #7 I have seen the trailers...looks good. Reminded me of Romeo and Juliet (the Claire Danes one)

@emllewellyn said...

Eliza-- ABC.com just became your new best friend. They post full episodes the day after they air. GO TO! ENJOY!

Granny Smith Apple is my favorite color crayon. It's the color crayon I would be if I had to be a crayon.

I can see why Across the Universe might make you think about Romeo + Juliet. OMG I love that movie so much. AtU isn't so tragic though. And dishy Liverpoolian boys are far more attractive than skinny!Leonardo.

Sweeney's rated R for blood. Sad. Shh don't tell I'm going to see it anyway.

Eliza said...

oh Iz forgots about the abc. That is how I watched all my shows last year. I am so mad that they took away my "the nine". I so loved me some party of five flash backs. I get those too with Lost...hmmmmmm.

It is the filming/cinematography ...kinda like Moulin Rouge too. I loves me some liverpoolian boys too (hence my former {I still have it} crush on one of the boys from BBMak shhhhh no one knows)

R is for Red blood...that's what it means.

Mandy said...

I watch alot of my shows online for that very reason eliza. i actually watched pushing daisies online a couple of days ago. very cute.
also i agree with alli and the crocs...sorry emily. i would never buy myself a pair. :)
i too like that mascara
will and grace...one of my favs! i love cathing the reruns.
also sweeney looks so good...why do all the good ones have to be R?