21 October 2011

the unemployment project

Well this has been an interesting week.

Is that an understatement? It might be an understatement. Or an overstatement, actually, now that I'm thinking about it.

It might be an understatement because I've spent the week doing a lot of things like spending all day Wednesday getting ready for the Hale Centre Theatre annual Thank You party (you say "masquerade," I say "how high?"), sleeping till 11am or so, contemplating taking a shower but then ultimately deciding to stay on the couch crocheting and watching Lie to Me on Netflix, and cooing over my kitty cats.

So I guess it hasn't been terribly interesting in and of itself, though the reasons it hasn't been interesting have been kind of interesting. So I guess what I'm saying is:

This has been an uninteresting but very interesting week.

I was laid off on Monday afternoon.

There-- I said it.

And while I'm on the subject of "interesting," being laid off is seriously the most interesting. It's such a strange combination of relief (at least for me, in this case, for a range of reasons) and confusion and rather terrible, wracking inadequacy, all with a nice little cherry on top called "free time." Of course, the free time is also a ticking time bomb considering I've only got a few weeks before I'll be fretting without an income, but I mean that's beside the point.

In general, I basically see this as a blessing. Again, I may be reconsidering that blessing when we are pinching pennies for a car payment in December, but in generalllllllllllllllllllllll I'm trying to really see this as a Divine Intervention and an example of God taking control of a situation I was too afraid to take full responsibility for. He knows my heart, He knows my desires, and He knew I was certainly feeling unfulfilled in my former position. Granted, it may have been nice to have some security before moving on, but at ultimately if I ever had a chance to really take the time to consider what it is I really want to do with my life, this is it.

I'm really seeking a career. I really want to do something I'm good at, that I'm passionate about, and that will make me happy to get to work every day. What is that? I have no idea. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great :)

But in the meantime, I've decided to take this opportunity to really get to know myself and become the best version of myself. I have so many wonderful examples of self-actualization in my life who inspire me and make me want to be as wonderful and inspiring and self-actualizing as them.

I get that I've had ambitions of self-actualization for years now, but now is my time! And if I want to do anything besides watch Neflix (which seriously wouldn't be a problem-- I have a lot of doily projects I want to do and I need something to watch while I do them but maybe it's not the greatest use of my time), I need to make a plan. Which is why I've outlined....

~*~*~*The Unemployment Project*~*~*~

1. Exercise 5x weekly-- 30 mins minimum per day.
2. 15 mins light free weights per hour of TV daily (eh? eh?)
3. Track food intake via sparkpeople.com
4. Make the bed every day
5. Do the dishes every day
6. Do not go to bed with a messy coffee table
7. Finish a book by November 1
8. Empty boxes in the back room (aka The Hoarder Room)
9. Read scriptures and write in gratitude journal each day (for maximum Tude Adjustment)
10. Complete one project by November 15
11. Find a job to make an income AND make me happy.

Cheers, former company. I'd tell you to "eat it," but that would be undiplomatic and quite against the spirit of The Unemployment Project so-- cheers.

Health and happiness SHALL BE MINE!



...and while we're on the subject, know of anyone seeking to hire a fun, hard-working, well-rounded twentysomething who is willing to tackle new challenges with real go-get-em and pluck?

7 comments:

Madison said...

Can I hire you to come to California and hang out with me??

Rachel said...

Anyone who wouldn't hire you is plum crazy! You'll find something in no time. Good luck!

Aubrey Warner said...

How do you feel about editing? If you love it, I have a lead for you. :)

Sarah Culp said...

Well, I say just move to Chicago and then figure out the rest. Easy! I'll get you a good deal right on our block. You'll love it, I promise. :)

Jaron said...

Love the gratitude journal idea!! you are wonderful best of luck!!

Kristin W said...

So sorry to hear about the lay off :( But I love your positive attitude and plan for making the best of it! Wishing you the best of luck with the job search (and hoping it brings new, amazing opportunities)!

Mara Kofoed said...

I am dying over this post! hahaha. I LOVE IT!!! I am unemployed right now, too. And I am working on just about every one of these that you mentioned. TOO FUNNY. Except making the bed...oh boy. Need to add that one.