09 March 2011

nice is different than good

A while back, I attended a meeting with various students and faculty at UVU where the concept of "professionalism" in theater was discussed. The general consensus was that, in short, to be professional is to be nice. Of all the advice about working in theater, the overarching theme was simply, be nice. Isn't that interesting? I thought it was interesting. It has really sunk in with me during my recent experience in A Tale of Two Cities, but I also like to think it can be applied to life in general.

Be nice.

What more is there?

I know I'm not always the nicest human. I feel badly about that. I know sometimes I get aggravated easily and maybe it makes me short with others, and I know I have inbred crust which can sometimes manifest itself in snark (which I like to think of as realistic, but that doesn't means it's necessary to actually be snarky), and I know I can sometimes be impatient. But I want to be nice. I am striving to be nice. People like other people when they are nice.

One thing I've learned about being nice is that you don't talk about yourself ALL THE TIME. Maybe that sounds weird, but it makes sense to me. If you're talking about yourself all the time, and always telling people how awesome you are, not only is it annoying, but it also implies to a certain extent that you are better than the person you're talking to. And that is not nice. It doesn't matter how talented you are if you aren't being nice about it-- if you have to insult others, quietly or bluntly, to prove how good you are, well. It's also generally tiresome, and it isn't nice to exhaust your neighbor.

People also tend to come together and support each other when they're focused on other people and not themselves. In the show, we are at our best when our concern is for other people-- when we are giving to others. We share the stage, we share the spotlight. We give, and allow others to take. We zip costumes for each other. We cry for each other onstage. We hold hands to balance each other on the scary set (that's my favorite).

It's true what they say about being nice to others that makes you feel good about yourself.

On this Happy Wednesday, I want to make a promise to myself and to everyone I know that I'm going to make more of an effort to be nice. I don't want to say rude things about people, I don't want to be catty, and I don't want to be self-centered. I know the faults in me will prevent me from getting along with every single person I encounter, but I can still be polite and kind. I want to think about nice things I can do for people, and then do them.

And do you know what else is nice? Spring is in the air. Which means, aside from having nice weather, it means it's almost time to go here with the nicest family of all (mine!):

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes my "being realistic" comes across as rude or something. I have similar goals about being nice. Now, if only I could control the thoughts actually running through my head! While I'm being outwardly nice, inwardly I'm the worst... haha

P.S. Trevor cat is a doll! He has the sweetest eyes! And your dark blue kitchen is going to look great! (Lizzy gave us a mini tour last week when you were at your show. Hope that's OK)

Katie Sue said...

Man I love you.

Alli Easley said...

It's been 6 months since I was at Disneyland! That breaks my heart.

Also, I vow to be nicer too, in all aspects of my life. Remember, in the words of the famous bumper sticker "Mean People Suck"

(word veri= martion)

Eliza said...

Me too.

Oh and I haven't been since last May. Boom! I win...lose.