10 February 2011

tech week papercut

Have you ever had a papercut in the bend of your finger, right where your finger becomes your hand so it's difficult and painful to bend? Have you had a papercut in the bend of your middle finger, right where your finger becomes your hand so it's difficult and painful to bend so you kind of wind up flipping everything off for a few hours?

Welcome to my world.

It could be worse. I could have a sliver right in the bend of my middle finger, and it would be because of the raddest stage set I've ever had the pleasure of walking and dancing and tromping across. But it's also filled with slivers because it is made of rough old wood that came from a big old barn that the theater bought and then tore down in order to make a raked stage that looks like this:Please also note my shoes, which are a cross between Felicity Merriman the American Girl doll and the Salem Witch Trials. Of course they'll look much cooler without jeans, but you get the idea. AND THE SLIVERS IN THE FLOOR! Because the floor is made of a barn. Which is just fine.

Last night was our first tech rehearsal for A Tale of Two Cities (click!) and as anyone who's had the pleasure of surviving a tech rehearsal week will know, there is a lot of sitting, a very lot of waiting, and even more stop and go. Luckily I have the yarns to keep me occupied and a cast of very pleasant people who generally make me feel very warm and squishy about this pretty neat show that we get to do together. I mean, really-- this show is so pretty. And sad. And happy. And funny. And heart-wrenching. And PRETTY. And my French Peasant hair is kind of honey-colored. I'm a blonde French peasant who gets really into the idea of "off with her head"-ing people. While standing on a set that used to be an old barn.

So I just sit there at tech rehearsal with my yarns, and my Ames, and my friends, and kind of just wait around to be needed, which means a few hours might go by, so I've got some Diet Coke, and some Cheetos, and some trail mix, and after a while last night there was even some sushi from the place down the street where they have the very most delightful staff who give you free drinks and soup while you wait for your to-go order and they know you by name, so that was nice too. And even though there's so much waiting around, there is a lot in life that is worse than sitting around with all those things, waiting for your turn to take part in something quite so interesting and happy and sad and pretty.

Though I mean, tonight will be interesting depending on how awkward this papercut makes things.

But at least it's not a sliver.

1 comment:

Kristin W said...

How weird is it that I just got a papercut this week too...on the crease of my middle finger. On my right hand...which makes writing hurt.

I've been dying for sushi lately!! Yum!