14 February 2011

happy batman day

Years ago, it dawned on me that Valentine's day is basically insipid, thereby a completely innocuous reason to get down on life just because I didn't have Someone to hold. Single Awareness Day is far less innocuous because Valentine's day doesn't have to be about romantic-love, it can just be about love-love, and it's sad if it's just all about romantic-love when there are so many people to love-love. I mean, that's why we built those boxes in elementary school year after year and dropped in NSYNC and Barbie valentines that say things like "You rock, Valentine!" and "Friends are forever!"

See? Insipid.

In an effort to shift gears and focus on something that seemed equally meaningless, Batman Day was born. I don't even recall why, though it did have something to do with my friend Jacqs and the fact that we sent each other the same Valentine in the mail.

And so, while Ames and I spend a romantic evening rehearsing this play about friendship and the love of other human beings, I hope you have a very

HAPPY BATMAN DAY

3 comments:

Erica said...

Haha! Em, you totally made my (very single) Valentine's day! Rock on for love-love and Batman... that's brilliant!

Sarah Culp said...

Happy Batman Day to you, too!

Steph said...

haha nice!
Valentines days is a day for unhappy couples to pretend they're happy.