21 May 2010

step 2: enjoy exercise

Do you know what I became today?

An Early Morning Exerciser.

Alright, I guess it wasn't "early morning" so much as it was "8:30am." But it was morning, and it was exercise, and I did like it.

Mr. Ames has to get to work before me now that he's Mr. Supervisor, and since we're both working all the time and being healthy (he put me to shame biking 5.3 miles to work yesterday and then 5.3 miles back) so we go to sleep around 10PM (which is the most boring of us), I'm trying to get up at 7AM with him so we can hang out for a few minutes. This morning we ate breakfast and I watched over his shoulder as he checked Facebook. Snuggly, eh?

So okay, he packed up and hauled off to work a little after 8, and since it only takes me 20 minutes to bike to work including all the green lights I have to wait for HAIRTOSS, I decided to do Pilates for a while. I got my "powerhouse" fired up, and got through that Hundred, and got in my second 8oz of water for the day, and then I biked to work. Because I am in the zone about this, guys.

That said, I'm still stuck at my last week's weight and I'm annoyed about it, but think how good it'll feel, self, when I tear through that 163 next week. I'll be like, "EAT IT!"

Only I won't have eaten it, and that's the point.
Because I'm investing all this time in a thing that I have previously been kind of unwilling to enjoy (that is, to exercise with the base purpose of exercising [as opposed to dance rehearsals for the purpose of a performance or whatever]), I'm very tempted to also invest in a set of suits in varying colors that look something like:This woman is hardcore, and looking like her would make me look hardcore and force me to feel hardcore, and the hope is that by looking and feeling hardcore, I will become hardcore.

Maybe tracksuits will also make me extra hilarious, too. Bonus.


Tricks to liking "exercise"
1. Ride adorable bicycle that makes me feel like Amelie (listening to the soundtrack on an iPod is an added plus).

2. Ride bicycle/walk to places that give me no choice but to make it there, and then have to come back again, so I am not lamely stranded.

3. Add Crystal Light packs to boring/plain/gross water so I drink water but it doesn't taste boring/plain/gross. Call it "Happy Water" in honor of little sister Biz.

4. Wear clothes meant for "exercising" (as opposed to pajama bottoms and band t-shirts) while "exercising."

5. Expand "exercise" wardrobe as rewards/treats/motivation to "exercise" more frequently.

6. Literally smirk at former lazy-self with satisfaction when tracking large amounts of "exercise" on my daily Weight Watchers online track sheet, since new hardcore-self is better than former lazy-self.

7. Pretend that "exercising" is my favorite and I'm the best at it.

8. Grunt to self occasionally during light weight lifting sessions to appear badass, then giggle to self (after completing that set so focus isn't lost).

9. Wear makeup during workouts to feel pretty even though skin is bright red with extreme circulation and dripping from sweat.

10. Use the Think System. A lot.

4 comments:

kitty emma. said...

You go girl!
+ Sue is a mega hottie.

J said...

This entertained me, to say the least, haha.

You know what they say in "School of Rock."

"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore."

I say SPRING FOR THE JUMPSUITS! XD

Cathy said...

Emily - I love you! I love your ideas for tricking myself into liking exercise, because right now it is pretty much the worst part of my day. I think I may treat myself to some new exercise clothes as more motivation! You are my idol and I am trying to be an early morning exerciser too. I'm glad that I'm not the only person who turns into a tomato when I exercise. Seriously, I get so red I look like I'm going to explode. Anyway, I love you and thanks for being my motivation!

Robbie said...

First of all, I love all these "tips" . . . and they are TRUE! So you are doing weight watchers online? I have had some great success on that . . . that is before I started to grow this baby. So I will definitely be back on that wagon once this little guys comes.

But you are AWESOME and I CAN'T WAIT to see you in JUNE when I come to UTAH!!!

Love you!

Oh - and 8:30 IS an early morning exerciser. Period.