14 May 2010

bike thoughts

I'm in the market for a bicycle.

For the last two days, I marched home the 2.8 miles from work and it made me feel really good about myself. I'm inclined to get a bike so that I can ride to and from work all summer, which will allow me to actually get outside for any length of time since I'll be holed up inside for the next month, and also let me get into that hot Esther Williams bathing suit as mentioned here.
I'm really digging something along the lines ofwhich is a Schwinn and from Target at only about $160. There's room to clamp on a little basket back there too, which will be nice to keep my purse in. Or milk. Or a puppy named Eli (short for Elliot) as mentioned here.

All the Electra bikes ever created are really beautiful but seem to be about $400-600, which is pricey, but this will be my primary source of transportation on a daily basis between the hours of 8:30am - 5pm.I really like this Electra Townie because the colors remind me of my Dad for some reason, circa 1978. Also has a basket option. Also a 7-speed, which would be nice even though my commute is basically level the whole way.
Then there are the Velorbis beauties, a veritable Porsche of bicycles. At $1295.00 a pop, this baby must ride beautifully-- and the wicker basket is included (or at least it had better be fist shake). Clearly I'm in no position to fork out $1300 for a bike, and I'm not sure I would do even if I could afford it, but it sure is pretty to look at.

I went on the Walmart website just for kicks to see what was available, and just when I thought I'd given my heart to a retro-styled bicycle, I saw this:Do you understand what this is?

It is a cherry red, adult-sized tricycle with a basket large enough to carry two 25-lb bulldogs (according to one review). ARE YOU KIDDING ME ABOUT THIS? Schwinn, $250. The downside is that they aren't available in stores-- you have to order it online. I'm hesitant to go for it without having test driven one, but this option is just delightful. A tricycle, you guys.

Thoughts? Which direction should I go? Can you recommend any good bike vendors in the greater Orem area? Is it worth it to chance a blind purchase on an adult-sized trike, or will the novelty wear off PDQ?

3 comments:

Robbie said...

I'm down with the Target Schwinn:
A) It's economical

B) Its cute

C) has basket attachment

D) I've had my bike stolen, so I refuse to spend a sizable amount of money on one . . . but I am also afraid to ride a bike on anything other than a drive way because of my unreasonable fear of cars, so . . . maybe I'm actually in no position to give advice.

Oh! But I do like the idea of going to target and then riding the bike through the check-out and then home.

That's all my ideas . . . all of them . . .

Heidi said...

A guy in my ward owns Mad Dog Cycles--go talk to them and see what your options are. They'll treat you right!

I'm also thinking of getting a bike, but other things (a new bed, for instance) are more pressing.

Lizzie Jones said...

Emberlly, I am selling my Schwinn cruiser for $75. It is light blue and has white and orange flowers on it and it is pretty and in wonderful condition. If you are interested, email me and I will send you pictures. If you are not, that is okay. We can still be ex-roommates and I will still read your blog and think you're clever.