17 February 2010

day 19: a talent of yours

The title for this blog a day reminds me of this clip.



It's a puzzle of yours!

Anyway, I wanted to tell you about how I'm really talented at picking out glasses. It's because I have a face that's really good for wearing glasses, which is good, since I've been wearing glasses since second grade.Do you see how they are perfectly-shaped O frames? They were also purple. They still exist somewhere. Please also note my grandma's glasses-- which are awesomely quintessential Old Lady Glasses-- and her hair-- which is purple.

That was back when I only really wore glasses when I needed them. Then I started to need glasses every day, so I got something a little more versatile.

I think it's really effective that I'm in the background of these pictures so far. Okay, okay-- focus on Lizzy for a second and her equally enormous glasses on her eyes-closed face and no teeth (she lost both her front teeth on Christmas Eve) . She's also wearing my favorite sundress I ever had in my whole life, but that's beside the point. MY GLASSES ate my face, but at least there's a certain little subtlety that the mid-nineties offered with a dainty frame. These frames broke just in time for me to begin embracing my inner retro.

This is kind of a poor scan, but it comes to straight from Trevor Nelson's scanner/computer. Thank you Trevor Nelson. Please note the subtle cat-eye shape to these glasses, to compliment my cheek bones and eyes and layered hair inspired by MK&A Olson. This is where my talent really started developing, because my mom pretty much picked out my first two pairs of glasses for me.

I was SUPER OBSESSED with Austin Powers in my early high school years, which lead to the purchase of these glasses:
[unpictured due to lack of photographic evidence]

They were awesome, that's my point, okay? Dark blue chunky retro frames in a time when retro was not as "in" as it is "in" now. This is about the time I started wearing my contacts all the time, so not many pictures exist at all of me wearing glasses. It's a problem, okay, I get it.

When I was over the Austin Powers glasses phase, I got the coolest frameless glasses that ever existed. To be honest, I'm not sure there's a single picture anywhere of me wearing those glasses, but suffice it to say, they looked like this:

Please keep in mind that this is not a photo of me. I know I may come across a certain way, but I'm not Asian, I don't have a beard, nor am I, in fact, a man. I just happened to have glasses like this once.

THEN CAME MY BREAKTHROUGH. Having grown up and into a human with a budding sense of self, I got these little beauties.

Are they not the greatest? Also I'd be lying if I said I'm not obsessed with my hair and I want that hair cut and color again immediately please. And I'll have you know, this was welllllllllllllllllllll before it was super awesome to have enormous retro frames again. In fact, these are actually MEN'S GLASSES because I couldn't find women's glasses big enough. This was at the point in my life where I had just finished my first semester as a declared English Major and I was thrilled about it, so I needed to improve my look so that I could look like an English Major. They are very heavy, because I have thick lenses, and they kind of hurt my ears/head, but I think it adds to the flavor.

I also have a knack for putting cool sunglasses on my face.


Greatest. Sunglasses. Evar. You guys.

And because I'm so talented at putting glasses on my face, I've decided to get new ones, probably at the start of next month. They're a risk, they're certainly stylized, they remind me of my grandpa.



OMG I'M OBSESSED ABOUT THEM RIGHT NOWWWWWW. And here's hoping, with a few extra trips to the gym, they'll make me look a little like Olivia Williams in An Education.


This woman makes plain and prude look gooooooooooooooooooooooood.

2 comments:

Daniel Joseph Anderson said...

GEEETT TTHHEEMM!! Dont even think about it, just do it!

Marissa Waddell said...

You do pick good glasses. I love your current ones... and I remember when you got them, and that it was well before everyone else got them.

P.S. I have thoe enormous pink Old Navy sunglasses, too. But I think we've had this conversation :)