13 January 2010

day 3: favorite movie

Now in reality, this is the most boring post ever because day 3: favorite movie is...


...exactly the same as day 2: favorite book.

Wah wah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

But for real. I have seen this movie 1209892857123 times. I used to play Little Women with my sister (who's name is Elizabeth, so she was always forced to be Beth) and my friend Katelyn (who was usually Amy because she had blondeish hair, and I was always Jo so that was off the table for Katelyn plzkthnx) the way other girls played House. I mean, I played House too, and I probably didn't even play Little Women that much, I just think I did. Though I do have vivid memories of it.

Anyway, Little Women the movie. Perfection. I have an enormous, movie-sized poster of it that used to hang above my bed before I got married and I decided maybe it was time to redecorate (it's still in the back room-- it will probably be hung eventually. I'll let Ames pick out a movie poster too and then we'll be even). This is my favorite movie soundtrack EVAR, by Thomas Newman the Brilliant.

I've fallen in love with it more and more through the years, too. I didn't like young Amy when I was little as much as I liked old Amy because old Amy was sooooooo sophisticated-- not so. Samantha Mathis is kind of as interesting as paint, truth to be told. And I didn't really love Beth, maybe because she died and I just didn't want to think about it. But Claire Danes really is just lovely, even if she is like a foot taller than Winona Ryder, who is so perfect I could die. And BALE and Eric Stoltz (my boyfriend) and Gabriel Byrne who is actually Irish not German. Faint faint faint. There couldn't be a better adaptation. I really honestly believe that to be the truth.

Also the 1947 Elizabeth Taylor version is good too, with June Allyson the 37-year old woman playing Jo.

This intrigues me, but I haven't seen it, so can't offer my opinion on The Partridge Family's Susan Dey and WILLIAM SHATNER as Jo and Professor Bhaer.

2 comments:

Emilie Laura Wright III said...

Truth: I've probably seen this movie more times than I've brushed my teeth. When we were younger, I made my siblings assist me in creating a newspaper, so I could be like Jo (except Beth was always my second favorite....) and instead of having a mailbox to pass notes and gifts and things, we creating a system of strings and pulleys so we could send notes to each other that way. It was the most best. I always knew I liked you.

@emllewellyn said...

This. Is the greatest thing I've ever heard Lara. WHY DIDN'T WE HAVE A PULLEY SYSTEM IN THE HR OFFICE?!!?!?!!!