16 January 2010

belated day 5: favorite quote

Yesterday was technically day 5: favorite quote, but I was a little tied up with this:
This is my baby sister Bizzy and her brand spankin' new husband Spencer. They got married yesterday, and she wore a pretty dress, and we carried around large poofs of baby's breath flowers, and it wasn't even that cold when we were taking pictures. Once, Spencer and I went on a date when we were 18-years old. I'm glad they're married. So that's what I was doing yesterday instead of blogging about my favorite quote. I'll catch up quick, I promise.

Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself.
--Charlie Chaplin

This is the quote that I submitted to the yearbook my senior year. It has been my favorite quotes for years and years and years. I know that people tend to have favorite quotes that are all inspirational and uplifting, like from a church leader or Gandhi or a Founding Father or Emerson, and it's usually something that's like "Do better because you can, and if you don't live up to your own potential, you suck."

I don't live like that.

I know I have potential. I know I'm capable of whatever I put my mind to (within reason). That doesn't matter to me so much as being fearless to be myself. And frankly, I'd rather listen to Charlie Chaplin's advice than quote Hamlet to death and ironically spout the words of an entirely self-unaware man who said "To thine own self be true."

As an acting hopeful, and even as a budding writer to some extent, it's vital to be willing to make a fool of yourself. Example: I'm currently playing Little Becky Two-Shoes in Urinetown, in which I jump rope, wear a pregnant suit and sing my guts out-- all at the same time. I also spend some time smoking fake cigarettes, in an effort to teach "Do as I say, not as I do" (another good quote, but not favorite). I am ridiculous in this show-- and in some ways, the entire show is ridiculous-- and the only way to make it read is to be fearless. Or at least try to be fearless.

And I like that quote because it takes courage to make a fool of yourself, but also to fail. The courage to put yourself out there with the knowledge that you might fail is scary-- but also unimportant. The effort is what matters.

Thumbs up, Chuck. You're wise as you are a physical comedy genius. Who knew?

No comments: