19 November 2008

Blog Secret

Sometimes I wear shimmery caramel flavored lip gloss to bed, in part because I ran out of chapstick a few months ago, in part because you never know when a boy might want to kiss you in the middle of the night.

I don't like one of the girls in my major and she admitted in a personal essay that she stole, and was banned, from the Dollar Store. I absolutely use it as further justification not to like her.

I plan outfits around my glasses.

Part of the reason I love acting is because I've always wanted to be someone I'm not.

It worries me that I'm becoming complacent about my inattractiveness to men. I'm concerned that I'm going to marry the first "metro-sexual" guy who takes two looks in my direction, only to find out ten years down the road that I was a last-ditch attempt to like girls and that I'm a convenient cover-up--and will I mind it, or pretend not to know?

...though it would be an entirely different story altogether if I already knew. I don't have to explain or justify myself, I'm only saying.

My friend Ashley wears men's cologne because perfume gives her headaches. I tried it once but found myself sniffing my own wrist uncontrollably because it smelled so very much like boy.

I never feel more fat and bloated than I do when I'm actually losing weight.

I feel like my great-grandmother Minnie and I would have been good friends, had she not been my great-grandmother, and had we been the same age. I wonder if she knows me and watches me, and if she feels the same way about me. I hope she does.

I can't decide if The Secret is a complete sham or not. Does that mean I basically question the concept of faith?

I dress on purpose. Now that I know I can pull off "that style," I do it partially because I know I can. Sometimes it would just be easier to go back to wearing jeans and boxy t-shirts, though.

I want to publish a book of essays someday but I think probably no one will read them.

It really, really, really, really, REALLY annoys me when really annoying people with even more annoying blogs have more hits on their counter or get more comments than I do.

I think that if I wrote for a living, I'd run out of things to say because I'd just be squirreled away at home all day, trying to write 9-5.

I'm afraid my future children won't be cute and that I'll resent them for it.

I wonder if my perception of my talent is unfounded and if I'm actually one of Those Girls who no one will tell is actually untalented.

I'm jealous of people who write better than I do, especially when English is their second language.

I haven't read a piece of fiction on my own accord in more than a year.

I'm grateful that I have a sense of humor about life. I think some people equate my tendency to be self-effacing with cynicism, and maybe it's a coping mechanism or something, but my ability to avoid taking things too seriously (when appropriate) actually makes me appreciate life better. Typically, I'd just rather laugh than cry.

There are those in my life whom I've tried to make myself fall in love with because it just makes sense, you know? I have found love doesn't work that way.

I actually almost cried when I found out the costume that fits me perfectly was going to be altered.

I don't like being sick, but I don't mind receiving sympathy when I'm sick.

Sometimes I write blogs or update my facebook status to act as bait, hoping certain people will comment. Sometimes it works.

10 comments:

Heidi said...

Many many things to say.

1. I know that fear about "metro-sexuals".

2. I'm sure your great-grandmother Minnie would be good friends with you if you could see her. :)

3. While I sometimes think it would be easier to do the "jeans and boxy shirt" look, it would take a lot (like serious depression and chemo) to get me to go back. I guess it wouldn't be that easy.

4. That's why I don't have a hit counter.

5. I will read your book.

Jeremy said...

Dear Emily,

Yummmmmm.....caramel....

The dollar store? SERIOUSLY?

I've wondered about the glasses sometimes.

Isn't that why ALL actors love acting?

Oh, Emily. Gay people aren't real. They're like pixies and unicorns. They only exist on TV, movies, and in some songs. Heyyy!

Men's cologne has scents in it that attract girls. And mythical gay men. If you don't want to marry a metro, you probably shouldn't ever wear it again.

You're not fat and bloated, and if you say otherwise, I will cut you.

I feel like Minnie is watching over you, and every time I call you Trash, she probably gets annoyed.

The Secret IS a sham, because it takes God out of faith. If you want to put something out in the universe in hopes that it will happen, try praying.

Dress however it makes you happy.

I will read your essays. And maybe write responses to each idea. ;)

Crap. I haven't surpassed you in blog hits, have I?

Squirreling away works for Stephen King. Nobody in America has caught on that he hasn't written an original story in 20 years.

Your kids will be cute. Unless you marry someone ugly. Like a pixie or a unicorn.

I'm one of the most blunt, honest people in the world. Have I ever dissed your talent?

I don't write NEARLY as good as you (hehe), so I'm glad that you're not jealous of me. Your a good writter.

I don't read fiction, either. I would hope you feel like you're in good company.

Humor is the best way to cope with ANYTHING.

Don't make yourself fall in love with Boring-Snoring.

I'm sorry about your dress. But if you look TOO good in the show, you can't believably be my wife.

Being sick sucks, but at least you have people who will massage you when you're down.

Hmm...I've commented on your Facebook status AND this entire blog today. I hope I'm "certain."

(Sometimes I'm in a weird mood when I read your blog...)

Lizzie Jones said...

It worked. :)

My word verification word is raptor. Fitting?

Andy said...

I'd read your collection of essays. And I'd write the introduction.

Marissa Waddell said...

i love this post.

Laurel and David Lowe said...

Ok. ok. You pulled me out of my stalking status. There. i officially read your blog.! And I love you!

lizzy said...

i like that you're my sister because a lot of our secrets are the same. :)

lizzy said...

i like to wear peppermint lipgloss to bed

i don't like a girl in my major, too

i plan outfits around my glasses

it's always a nice feeling to pretend you're something different..

i'm attracted to "metro-sexual" men also. it's okay. as long as "you get it."

I used boy's cologne once, too, and i almost fell in love with myself.

I, too, feel worst about myself when I'm trying to "perfect" the image a little more.

I feel like Grammy-Wib and i would have been better friends. I also feel the same way about Grammy green. It's amazing what a difference of 60(+) years can do.

The secret. Not a sham as long as you don't forget about God.

I dress on purpose too

I want to write a book someday about my roommates.

I'm afraid i'll have mentally challenged children...or rebellious ones.

I have a "second best" complex that smells a lot like your concerns about perception of talent.

I'm jealous of people who sing better than me. It's because i'm not very good and i want to be - and things usually come very easy to me..except singing. And that makes me jealous.

I'm grateful to have a sense of humor about life, too. I think we'll both live longer for it.

The only thing you can expect with love is to be surprised.

I don't like being sick, because no one cares when i am. The illness itself couldn't matter less to me.

i update my statuses as bait, too. But it never works for me...

Going Full Hippie said...

here's another comment for you. just so that you can know that i read and enjoy.

Hailey said...

I like you and your secrets. And yes, my secret fear is that I write lame comments and people say, "Wow, what a lame comment."