29 March 2011

how i spend my evenings

Last night, something strange happened.

I went running.

I mean, like for exercise. I ran. I went running.

No, I wasn't running away from the rec center. And I wasn't running to a Wendy's Homestyle Chicken Go-Wrap. I was just there, and I was on a treadmill, and I ran-- of my own accord-- and I didn't hate it.

Guys, this is a big deal. I'm growing up. AND getting fit.

The rec center is funny. I like it because I really feel like one of the people. There are just all kinds of ages and shapes and work-out clothes there on those cardio machines, just listening to their tunes and reading their books and watching their TVs. I'm a frequent visitor enough that I'm starting to make some eye-contact-head-nod-friends. We're like, "Hello. I acknowledge our similar schedules and sweaty faces. Good job for being here."

There are some weirdies. My favorite is the little old gentleman who has sat next to me on the stationary bikes three times now. He's got that crinkly old-man skin that's kind of cracking on his foreheard, and wears jeans (jeans!) that are a little too short, and bright white sneakers with tube socks. More times than not I notice he's just sitting there, arms crossed in his flannel shirt, completely unmoving as he watches his personal television with fascination. I wonder about him. Does he not have a TV at home? Does he go to the rec center under the pretense of staying active but he really just wants to watch Criminal Minds reruns? Has he recently had some medical procedure that has some physical activity recommended for recovery but he's really not all that interested? I wonder.

I also noticed a startling number of people milling about yesterday who are apparently and inexplicably unable to move their arms when they walk. It was a Seinfeld episode, only real life.

The guy on the treadmill next to me last night was throwing down a tremendous stank. I guess that's got to be expected at any fitness facility, but it really almost forced me to pack up and start on another machine. Tip: if you're going to work out in layers upon layers of clothing to sweat it out just a little extra, KEEP YOURSELF CLEAN. Blegh.

But remember how I run now?

Weird.

4 comments:

Alli Easley said...

I can't wait to start exercising again! 6 weeks after the baby comes. I can't stand the size of my thighs. Good for you for going for it!

mush said...

Emily, this is Marshall. All I have to say is bravo.

XOXO Dr. Kay Elizabeth said...

Hey I apologize for the random posting but I need as much help as I can get. :) Please take a look at my blog and read the posts. I need as much help as I can get to return back to school. Thank you and I do sincerely apologize for the random posting, just in desperate need of help right now.... Thank you in advance for reading my posts! :)http://medschooldream.blogspot.com/

Sarah Culp said...

Fun. I just fell in love with Spin Class. AND I also share your sentiments on people keeping themselves smelling somewhat fresh while working out. I just took a class with this woman that was so SMELL-TASTIC it was DISgusting. Come on people . . . deodorant . . . seriously.