26 October 2010

i want to tell you about my sister and that she was born

This is a post to celebrate the existence of my only little sister, Elizabeth Helen. Today is her birthday, and she is 21, which means she's an actual adult, which means no one can give her crap about anything or being too young. Welcome to the club, little one.

I only call her "little one" because she's just a little bitty thing.

She didn't really want to be born when she was born. I bet our mom has some cool stories about how she was in labor for 26 hours. I think that's because Bizzy probably really wanted all the numbers to match, since she was born on October 26. She's organized that way and maybe inherited a touch of OCD. She started early.

I don't know if I really wanted her to be born either. I mean, I got the cool I'm the Big Sister shirts and whatever, and I was super pumped to give her that rattle as a YOU'RE BORN! present, but when she actually came home and was there and barfed all the time, I wasn't so sure...
Aunt Debbie tried to congratulate/console me with balloons. I wasn't impressed.But after a few days, I warmed up to her.
Bwahahaha.... (note: that couch is now sitting in my very own little apartment)

Bizzy was named after our grandma Elizabeth, who always went by Betty. Liz still rocks San Rio sunglasses, if you can believe it.

Sometimes I call Sister "Betty" because it's retro, and also because of our grandma, and also because of "Betty-honey Haynes" from White Christmas. Our mom wanted Lizzy's name to be Elizabeth and not be called by a nickname, but that didn't last long since she was the one who started calling her Biz. Grandma Betty never liked the name Lizzy because of some mean great-aunt or other, so it was ironic when Biz inevitably became Liz. But listen-- I've never met a Liz I didn't like, so I don't mind the nickname.

Liz has always been a big Beatles fan. This year she actually made it to Liverpool, which I think is just about the coolest thing. Check out her most epic Halloween costume from 1997:Third from the left-- John Lennon would be proud of that casted little arm. All in the name of ROCK.

A few years later Lizzy would smile in such a way that jutted her chin back into her neck a little bit and made her eyes drowsy. It's become a bit of a running joke. See how charming?

Luckily she grew up and is now the prettiest girl ever. She married a boy named Spencer, but then she couldn't decide if she wanted to keep her last name or take his, and because Mom and Dad have always told us that we (especially me) suffer from "more more more" syndrome, why have just one name when you can have two?
Isn't it weird that, aside from the snow caked in our hair and the pained expressions, we basically don't even look alike?

Bizzy is very talented and is basically good at everything she tries. She stars in local musicals--And lately she's been all about her new photog business. Check out her blog and hire her. She's really good and not obnoxiously artsy.She's also a serious rebel.
We have hilarious times together!Everything about this photo is staged.

It's good to be Biz.'eeyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Happy birthday, little Lizzy!

1 comment:

April said...

Wahoo! What a girl! And what a big sis!