01 October 2010

collecting is not the same as hoarding

As mentioned previously, I've been watching a lot of that show Hoarders on A&E thanks to some good friends who are as fascinated/disgusted by other people as I am. I've since introduced it to a few select friends, and I delighted in their reactions as we gathered in my apartment to watch as a house was futilely disposed of three feet of cat poo, cat skeletons, 10 YEARS worth of HUMAN POO in garbage bags, and piles of larvae-encrusted sundry. They were as horrified as I had been the first time I watched it. Rightfully so.

Since beginning a viewership with Hoarders, I've become self-conscious (paranoid) about my delight in shopping and having pretty things and all the stuff in the back room that needs to be organized and put away but we just haven't done it yet.

Sounds like classic hoarder justification, right?

But we haven't! We just combined two half-households with our shared new household and all our storage stuff just needs going through. I promise. I have Plans for that back room.

In the meantime, I'm just so sorely tempted to go through the apartment and throw half of what we own just right in the trash. Or, I mean, take some of it to good will. Duh. We have lots of nice things. I'm just afraid we have too much of it, is all.

Also now that I've settled the fitful appearance, I'm getting super itchy about my house things. After I throw out half of what we've got, I will then replace it (slowly, not hoarderly) with things I l-u-r-v-e (not larvae).

For example,
urban outfitters

urban outfitters

notley upholstery

And luckily, we're not allowed to have pets in our apartment, so we don't run the risk of burying it under three feet of animal feces. Though wouldn't that chair look so much cuter with a puppy named Mops sitting on it?

We might also benefit from the funds to have such things, so I guess this means I'll be making a sacrifice to the thrifting gods and pray to find some gems over the next few weeks/months.

No comments: