25 February 2010

day 24: fancy tickling

You know, even on days like today, when I can tickle my fancy or your fancy or our collective fancies (not fannies, mind you), I feel pretty constricted by this blog-a-day thing and feel like a need "a topic." Like Linda Richman-- Rhode Island. Neither a Road, nor an Island. Discuss. Someday I'll start writing things that people care about, or that might actually be interesting or funny or poignant or meaningful. Writing about Diet Coke is probably not meaningful. I'm starting to concoct ideas for blog-essays again, but I'm still scared of it, having fallen out of practice, so I just gotta work up to it, see.

I've decided to try and network a bit. Like, my blog. And myself. I want to network myself and my blog. Is that weird to publicize? Is that weird to tell the world? Frankly,

Dear World,
I want you to read my blog. I want to be frequented. I want to be read. I want to do super awesome giveaways and have 3298728957 hits a day. Does this make me narcissistic? Does this make me self-centered? Maybe. But it also makes me ambitious, conscious of how a successful blog can become a successful book deal, a successful reviewer, a successful opinion of society!!

But listen-- I'm willing to work both ways, World. So let me read your blogs too, okay? You read mine, I read yours, we follow each other, and never have itchy backs.I really feel like we can work something out here, so let's brainstorm, yeah?
Love, Emily


What do I intend to "get" out of this, other than personal satisfaction and validation of the popularity I must have apparently lacked in high school? Well.

I intend to:
1. write better.
2. write more frequently
3. write more essayistically.
4. cultivate career goals that involve/focus on writing.
5. get into grad school since my grades maybe weren't awesome.
6. appreciate other good writers and interesting people.
7. gather new ideas.
8. become less petty.
9. make friends.
10. write a book.

And I've somehow got it in my head that sniffing around the blogosphere is the way to do it. Or at least, it's certainly A way to do it. Because while a desk job is pretty okay since we don't have to pay for Hub to go to school, and while I really love the department I work for, and while I'm working in theatre (which is my other career goal in life), and writing grants do improve certain technical writing skills that I probably don't pay attention to in my personal writing, it feels kind of constricting and impersonal.

Also, blogging tickles my fancy, and we've made it full circle.

2 comments:

Kacey Spadafora said...

I am following you! On both of my li'l blogs.

Rachel said...

Emily, I follow your blog. Found it one day and have been addicted ever since...(not in a creepy way, I promise).

Mine's not nearly as interesting or well written as yours, but feel free to check it out should you feel so inclined: http://theweakestpen.blogspot.com.

Sounds like life is treating you well. Keep writing so I can keep reading :).