13 August 2008

Braving Scotland

We've made it to the final stretch of our time in the UK. I can't believe how fast it's all flown by, though at the same time it's felt like forever-- like a "fairy dream."

Today was the really the first time that I've taken to Edinburgh, even though it's our third/last day here. I think I've just been so exhausted and burnt out from traveling so much, and STRESSED OUT over our show Flies in the Snuffbox that I haven't been able to let myself appreciate it fully. This morning we gave our second/final performance at the Fringe Festival, which is the reason we're here in the first place. It ended up being a good show, and I'm really proud of us all for pulling it together. I think it was a really good experience for all of us. And look at the logo for our venue, the Demarco Roxy Art House-- startlingly familiar...
So though our time has been limited, I've managed to do some nice sight-seeing. We had lunch at the Black Medicine Cafe Co. That's right, you Harry Potter fans, that's where JK Rowling infamously began writing Harry Potter. It's exactly the kind of place you'd expect it to be, very quaint and cozy, especially when it's rainy and Edinburgh-y. We walked through the Fringe and were attacked by millions of people trying to advertise their shows. I wasn't mad, because we went and advertized quite loudly yesterday in the rain and you know, you gotta do what it takes to get seven people in the audience (I'm not exaggerating), but we felt bad taking their fliers when we know we can't see anything tonight. So we didn't take any.

And a trip to a foreign city wouldn't be complete without bashing through a medieval castle, so we used our British Heritage passes to get in. The view was gorgeous, and as usual I was struck by the layers of history there. We also got to see the Honours aka the Scottish Royal Jewels. Not quite as glittery as the Crown Jewels in England, but frankly, just as impressive. And you're not limited to being shoved through on a people-mover so you can linger around them as long as you want. Annie and I split the most delicious $5 chocolate ever, too.

So tonight we're going to see the Military Tattoo up at the castle, and then a few of the girls are going out to Frankenstein for Rocky Horror night! I just know how jealous some of you are. Nothing says "Goodbye Europe" than a Rocky Horror sing-along at a bar in Scotland.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Rocky singalong?! Okay. I'm FINALLY jealous of your trip.

D'oh!

(Please tell me that Jana went and that she sang along really loudly and proudly.)

Tropicanna said...

I think that a night at The Three Sisters with gorgeous foreign men might say goodbye better than Rocky. You?