17 June 2008

Some advice

Okay I admit it-- most of the reason I keep my myspace account active is so that I can stay "friends" with famous people and bands. Sometimes I'll read peoples' myspace blogs and feel like I'm on the "inside." You guys, I'm one of only 23498871827364123984710939 people who gets personalized updates on how things are going on tour for Bryce Avery of (the greatest band ever) The Rocket Summer. I mean, right??

Anyway, so one of my dearest myspace friends is Jenna Fisher from The Office. She's very gracious to her fans (I mean, friends) and it's obvious she's so grateful for her success. Lately a lot of them (us!) have been asking her for tips on How to Succeed in Show Business and she posted a really, really, really long blog with all her advice and stuff.

Now okay, I have to confess, I just kind of skimmed it, mostly because I was simultaneously watching Ghost Hunters, and you know how I love that Steve with all his tattoos and phobias. Also, it was a ton of advice for people who are LA-bound, and I'm certainly not that. I've got my idyllic 5-Year Plan mapped out, to be sure, but LA is not involved. It will only ever be involved if it will come easily for me, which it most likely won't, so there's that.

She offered a really great piece of advice though, and since I figure it applies to theatrical ambitions, which are the kind I have, I thought I might share:

Opportunity meets Readiness. You cannot always control the opportunities, but you can control the readiness. So, study your craft, take it seriously. Do every play, every showcase, every short film, every student film you can get. Swallow your pride. Be willing to work for nothing in things you think are stupid. Make work for yourself. Make your own luck. Don't complain. Hopefully, the work will find you if you are ready.

I'm ready to be Ready. I'm excited to be Ready. I feel like I'm a good place in my life to be Ready. Since I'm a new practitioner of The Secret, I have to put it out there for the Universe to hear, in a place where I can see it all the time:

Dear Universe,
I'm Ready. I want to take luck for myself. I am concentrating very hard on being Ready, so help me out on the "work will find you" part, please.
Love, Emily

I wonder if Jenna Fisher uses The Secret? If she does, she very pointedly excluded The Secret from any credit to her success-- she only sited a bunch of books and, like, hard work and crap. No matter how Ready she was, I bet her future agent's teeth didn't go bling! when they met for the first time. My future agent's teeth will bling!, thank you.

No comments: